TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 08:52:39 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Short Coil Experiments

Concerning the 38cm diam, h/d=1/15, coil,

Kurt Schraner wrote:

> This measurement was nothing more than a just distinguishable change of
> appearence of the scope trace (very small amplitude), at roughly the
> indicated frequency. It should be discarded; better I was not even
> including it in the results-table!

OK, I appreciate the difficulty with this coil. The Q is very low,
presumably due to the dielectric material loss, so the higher modes
will be heavily damped and with a high base impedance.

> If the Generator-Z was really low, the measured Q should not be
> too far away from reality.

The effective series resistance of this coil is so high that switching
between a 50 ohm source and a zero ohm source would only make 5% or 10%
difference to the Q.

There's something about paper/cardboard/sonotube coils that make them
very lossy indeed. Maybe some additive put in to bind the material
together?

I'm still looking at the strange results for Sk-5cm, as mentioned in
the previous email on this thread.  More later...