TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:53:36 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Some Considerations

Hi All,

After looking around and through some great info Bert sent me, I am leaning
toward the design Jennings and Tektronix use for high voltage probes.  A
shielded coaxial capacitive divider.  There would have to be a wire leading
from the top terminal to this divider (maybe 3 to 5 feet) which would look
basically like a ~5pF capacitor load.  I hope to get more drawn up (busy
days) soon and give this a try.  I am thinking of using oil since a vacuum
or freon/silicone is rather difficult for me.  It would also need a fairly
good scope protection circuit, which will hurt frequency response, but it
would still be very good.  It can also be tested with conventional
equipment for accuracy and voltage standoff.

The capacitor in parallel with resistors things look like they would be
very susceptible to surrounding fields and their adjustment and calibration
seems like a black art...  I am sure it can be done on the 1000th try...

So I'll look into this.  This top voltage measurement issue has been around
for a long time and a solution needs to be found.

We also have some high voltage dividers at work (both commercial and made
in-house) but they were for mostly DC work and they are in very poor
condition.  Nothing I would want to plug my scope and coil into...  Having
had a bunch of 5 kW RF stuff explode "too close" to me today (I was
unscrewing the HN connect and I "thought" it was off :-))))  Glad that
wasn't "my" stuff I blew up :-))), I am kind worried about what could go
wrong. ;-))  Must go try and get G-10/GPO-3/Teflon soot out of white shirt
now....  BTW: GPO-3 is far far better than G-10 for RF fires :-))  The
Teflon was good till it got too hot...