TSSP: List Archives

From: Marco Denicolai
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 14:24:21 +0300
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Toroid breakdown voltage indirect meas.

Hi Paul,

Paul wrote:

> Marco Denicolai wrote:
>
> > Primary tap at 7.5 turns, primary cap is 0.0967 uF.
>
> Thanks. I also put your primary at 5cm above the secondary base to
> get the required coupling.  Now I get much the same waveform that
> you do, peaking at around 550kV for 18.35kV on the primary.

Good.

> According to ET6, the toroid should reach a surface 26kV/cm at
> 440kV, so we have a 20% discrepancy to investigate.

:(

> Something that would be very useful is a scope trace of the
> secondary base current - do you have one available?  The reason
> is that, with your fairly high k factor, the model predicts quite
> a noticeable amount of higher mode ringing.  Doesn't show up in the
> top volts or primary current, but is prominent in the base current.
> A base current trace would indicate whether this is real or an
> artifact of the software.

If everything goes OK, during the weekend I could be able to add the
second strike rail and turn again Thor on.

I could place a current transformer on the secondary grounding, then a
length of 50 ohm coax to the memory scope. On the other channel a free
probe. Then I would have secondary voltage (sort of) and secondary
current together. I would run at, say 10 kV, to avoid leader inception.

Hopefully the CCPS is fully repaired as I suppose, otherwise it will
break again pretty fast. Let's see...

Best Regards

 Marco Denicolai           Senior Design Engineer
 Tellabs Oy                tel: +358 9 4131 2769
 DSL Products              mobile: +358 50 353 9468
 Sinikalliontie 7          fax: +358 9 4131 2410
 02630 Espoo  FINLAND      email: marco.denicolai@tellabs.com