TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 14:23:43 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Direct Voltage Measurement of Topload Voltage for

HI Paul,

Excellent point!  The dimensions would indeed have to be increased to
control the internal field strengths to what the oil could tolerate.

I have also been looking into the standard capacitor stacks.  Reading
between the lines of the Ross Engineering notes suggests that these stacks
may not be all that sensitive to external fields anyway.  Any idea what a
maximum capacitance load and the minimum resistance of a probe could be
without affecting the Tesla coil too badly?  Maybe 10pF at 500M ohm?  Ross
has a 240kV 6.2pF 480M ohm DC-1MHz  10,000:1  (VD240-6.2-C).  It sounds
like they can make up anything you want.  I wonder if it is cheaper to make
your own or just buy them from Ross?  I should ask the price of this one to
get an idea...  I would have to find a retail source for doorknob caps and
high voltage resistors...  We may have SF6 laying around work somewhere.