TSSP: List Archives

From: Bert Hickman
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 17:15:20 -0500
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Direct Voltage Measurement of Topload Voltage for TSSP

Terry and all,

I concur with Paul's assessment regarding field concentration around the
central conductor. The end of the central conductor should also be made
hemispherical to prevent E-field concentration. Since oil and LDPE have
similar dielectric constants, you may be able to increase the standoff
voltage by carefully adding loosely spiraled lengths of LDPE or PP in
the space between the inner and outer electrode, and letting the oil
displace entrapped air. Thin layers of LDPE should have a much greater
standoff voltage than the oil, and their presence should also disrupt
the formation of continuous particle or bubble chains that may otherwise
form under high E-fields in the oil alone. The advantage of pure mineral
oil is that it would be self healing. However, its dielectric breakdown
strength is only about 1/4 that of thin sheets of LDPE or PP. Mylar or
PVC should not be used because the higher k of these materials may
overstress the oil between layers.

Also, I assume that the outer container is made from a nonconducting
tank - I've found (the hard way) that polypropylene does NOT maintain
satisfactory mechanical strength when used as a container for mineral
oil - does Marc have more of those fiberglass tanks?

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering