TSSP: List Archives

From: Bert Hickman
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 07:49:30 -0500
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Toroid breakdown voltage indirect meas.

Malcolm and Paul,

>From one of the other postings:
The color of the streamers is indeed bright blue - this is apparently from
vibrationally excited nitrogen molecules (created by collisions with free
electrons during the avalanche process). As these return to the ground
state they emit the characteristic bright blue color.

This posting:
What happens as the terminal voltage rises is a function of how fast the
voltage is replenished and how fast it subsequently rises. Some thoughts on
the behavior:

1. If the terminal dv/dt is too slow, we have insufficient displacement
current through the leader channel to maintain sufficient leader
conductivity, and the e-field at the leader tips collapses below the point
where additional streamers can form, and we get no further propagation.
This would be the case of an underpowered coil, or one just barely able to
break out its top terminal. However, the breakout voltage at the NEXT bang
will be lower in the residual heated channel so we might see further leader
propagation during the NEXT bang.

2. If dv/dt is optimal: Displacement current through the channel is
sufficient to maintain leader conductivity, e-field increases at the leader
tip(s), new streamers form, and the leader propagates in another one or
more additional "jumps". This process can continue indefinitely with
optimal dv/dt... until we finally run out of voltage.

3. If dv/dt is too fast (i.e., resonator can overpower both the topload as
well as the capacitive loading from the initial leader): In addition to the
original leader, new streamers and leaders may form in other locations
around the terminal where the local space charge distribution presents
favorable E-field stress. Suspect this is why we get multiple breakout
points when we have a topload that's too small, or one that has too small a
ROC in a system capable of delivering sufficient power. Ultimately, as the
bang energy is diverted/shared amongst multiple leaders, individual leader
length is constrained to be significantly less than the optimal case above.
This may also be why it's more difficult to get multiple leaders to
coalesce in higher frequency systems.

I suspect Paul is correct - the capability of the resonator to deliver
additional charge and to replenish Vtop is also critical to optimal
performance.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--