TSSP: List Archives

From: Marco Denicolai
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 14:18:48 +0300
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Toroid breakdown voltage indirect meas.

Hi Paul,

I got the CCPS "almost" repaired. That means that the damaged driver
works, but it gets warmer than the others and its performance is
slightly lower. I can't find right now the cause, but I have become a
kind of fatalist with these things: if it's a major problem, it will
eventually cause a fault and then it will reveal itself.

In the mean time, I added the second strike rail to Thor for a
resulting:

secondary diameter: 400 mm
original strike rail diameter: 1300 mm
added strike rail diameter: 860 mm
strike rails (both) elevation from the primary: 150 mm

I also added a sharp bump to the toroid. Now, as soon as the RSG starts
triggering (around 10 kV), I also get streamers from the bump. I think
that the streamers I get now at full power are much thinner than what I
got without the bump, while their length is almost unchanged (max 3
meters).

Tonight or tomorrow I'll measure secondary base current and (indirectly)
voltage. Current with a Pearson current probe (model 110A, calibrated a
few months ago, reads "High bandwidth", 0.1V/A) and voltage with the
"flying" scope probe.

The Pearson current probe has got a N coax connector, but I use a
N-to-BNC adapter and a length of about 4 m shielded cable (I guess is a
50 ohm one). The probe should have a 3 dB attenuation @ 20 MHz, if I get
it right from
http://www.pearsonelectronics.com/Pages/Standard_Currrent_Monitors.html.

Questions from you RF measuremnt guys:

- should I set my scope input impedance to 50 ohms (to have a correct
termination) and then multiply my reading by 2?

Best Regards

Paul wrote:

> Marco Denicolai wrote:
>
> > I could place a current transformer on the secondary grounding,
> > then a length of 50 ohm coax to the memory scope.
>
> Do you know the frequency response of the CT, up to say 3MHz?
>
> Instead of the CT, a current shunt of around 1 ohm would provide
> a nice flat-response feed to the coax.  The test need only be done
> at low voltage.
>
> Hope the CCPS repairs go OK - tricky stuff.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Paul Nicholson,
> Manchester, UK.
> --

 Marco Denicolai           Senior Design Engineer
 Tellabs Oy                tel: +358 9 4131 2769
 DSL Products              mobile: +358 50 353 9468
 Sinikalliontie 7          fax: +358 9 4131 2410
 02630 Espoo  FINLAND      email: marco.denicolai@tellabs.com