TSSP: List Archives

From: "B2"
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:50:13 -0400
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Measurement of Topload Voltage

Hi Terry,
    You could charge up the terminal of the Tesla coil with an accurate DC power supply through a big resistor of about 10 MegOhm.  Once the voltage has stabilized then trigger an adjustable spark gap that would short the terminal to ground.  There should be several signals present, mostly damped sines.  One will be in the tens of megahertz from the direct toroid discharge.  The others will be the secondary fundamental and harmonics.  The only way to measure only the top terminal field, that I can think of at the moment, is to position the probe coaxially above the top terminal.  Corona inception will alter this.  Exploitation of the Kerr effect might help here.

     An circular antenna flat on top of, and just above the inner flat surface of, a toroid.  This may work well up to corona inception.  A wire could go through a current probe inside of the toroid and then exit through an insulator to stick out a few inches from it.  That way the field and corona current could be measured at the same time to get some idea of relationships.  The corona would have to be directed away from the antenna to prevent space charge distortion effects.

Cheers,

Barry