TSSP: List Archives

From: Marco Denicolai
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 14:18:03 +0300
Subject: [TSSP] Toroid breakout threshold modified

Hello all,

I added a curved section of copper pipe (15 mm o.d.) to Thor's toroid.
It is sticked to it by two pieces aluminium tape, just like "a fat vein
below the toroid skin"  . Now the toroid breakout threshold is around
15200 V (feed). This is a satisfactory compromise, in my opinion, as
opposite to the two extremes:

1 - plain toroid, threshold about 18 kV, very near to the SMPS maximum
output. Very fat streamers, but also "wild", that easily hit to wrong
places.

2 - toroid with added sharp tip, threshold about 10 kV, very near to the
RSG threshold. I can't get functionality without streamers: useless for
measurements. Streamers are still long but pretty thin, not very
impressive (let's forget about the scientific side, for a moment :)  ).

The present solution allows for no-streamer and safe-streamer operation,
while streamers are fat and long as usual (or, at least, I can't see the
difference). I measured again secondary voltage and current and saw NO
DIFFERENCE: this makes me believe that I didn't modify the toroid
capacitance significatively, just its radius of curvature (as intended).
Therefore, we can keep Thor's model as valid and I'm going to leave the
copper tube section there, attached to the toroid.

Best Regards

 Marco Denicolai           Senior Design Engineer
 Tellabs Oy                tel: +358 9 4131 2769
 DSL Products              mobile: +358 50 353 9468
 Sinikalliontie 7          fax: +358 9 4131 2410
 02630 Espoo  FINLAND      email: marco.denicolai@tellabs.com