TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:44:52 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Anybody there?

Hi Marco,

Hope you had a good holiday!  Rest assured you've not missed any TSSP
activity - things have been very quiet for several weeks.  At our end,
the hills are open once again, so I've been training lots, barely
spending more than an hour or two per week at my desk.  It's good to
lay off things for a while - helps to give a perspective.

There are some plans in the pipeline. You'll recall that attempts to
model your's and Terry's secondary base currents looked encouraging,
but fell over on the quantitative detail of the higher mode
components.  This, along with inability to account for the effect of
coil former dielectric properties, calls for a different approach to
capacitance matrix determination.  My plan is to smarten up the
boundary element calculations, incorporating some more advanced
techniques such as multipole approximation.  Amazingly the boundary
element method can be reformulated into a Fredholm integral equation
of the second kind!!!

See the paper by Tausch and White,

 http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/63237.html

My goal now is to rewrite (for the 3rd time!) the capacitance stuff to
incorporate these techniques.  With luck, we might end up with a
program that will cope with the presence of dielectrics, and also
allow us to move away from the constraint of cylindrical symmetry.
I feel that, once this is done, we'll be determining the capacitance
to the best accuracy that the state-of-the-art allows.

Also, there is Sullivan's squared-field-derivative method to implement
too, which should enable us to predict base input impedances for coils
with thin wires.

So apart from pondering these issues, I've nothing much to report from
this end.  The others, it seems, are busy doing interesting things,
thus carefully avoiding the thorny issue of absolute top voltage
measurement.