TSSP: List Archives

From: Finn Hammer
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 16:02:41 +0100
Subject: [TSSP] EMI measurements

Gang!

I posted this info to the pupman list, but for some reason it did not
seem interesting.
However, I think that the first public measurements of a Tesla coil`s
electromagnetic radiation just has _got_ to be interesting, so  in the
light of this lists longlasting quietness, I allow myself to break the
silence and tell you:

That the Museum coil was run for some length of time, and the emission
was recorded by an appropriate Rohde&Schwarz instrument (yeah! I forgot
to write the No. of the instrument down, but it was as big as a baking
oven). The antenna was a fancy one too.

I don`t know if there is any need to discuss this much, but I want to be
sure that this is being noticed by you who are able to picture the
consequences of the fact that an operating coil is a broadband
transmitter, starting out 70dB too loud at 30 MHz and continuing to be
40dB too loud at 1GHz.

The coil during measurement:
http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/measurecoil.jpg
To give you an idea about the power level that is being used.(345K)

The antenna:
http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/antenna.jpg
(345K)
The emission files:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/Hor_10m.doc
http://hot-streamer.com/temp/Ver_10m.doc
http://hot-streamer.com/temp/BG_Ver_10m.doc

For more information about the museum coil, go to:

http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/tesla.htm

Cheers, Finn Hammer