TSSP: List Archives

From: Marco Denicolai
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 14:58:21 +0200
Subject: Re: [TSSP] EMI measurements

Hi Finn,

For instance, the requirement for the modems I design at work (SHDSL,
SDSL, HDSL, etc.) is EN 55022 (for radiated emission). We use a Rohde
&Schwarz ENY22 ISN spectrum analyser, which I bet is pretty the same
than what you used. The limits are similar to the ones in your plot.

For a curve comparison, see

http://www.iki.fi/dncmrc/work/modem.jpg

This is a 8 x 2Mbps HDSL modem board, consuming 10W of DC power.

I mean, I don't see such a big difference in the quality of the
emissions, maybe some 10 dB more in the TC case. What about if you had
been measuring the TC without producing streamers? I guess then we would
see it in the radiated emission graph (but then it would be useless to
qualify you for being "museum compatible").

Do you think you could repeat the measurement with a lower voltage or a
bigger toroid (and no streamers)?

Best Regards

Finn Hammer wrote:

> Gang!
>
> I posted this info to the pupman list, but for some reason it did not
> seem interesting.
> However, I think that the first public measurements of a Tesla coil`s
> electromagnetic radiation just has _got_ to be interesting, so  in the
> light of this lists longlasting quietness, I allow myself to break the
> silence and tell you:
>

> Cheers, Finn Hammer

 Marco Denicolai           Senior Design Engineer
 Tellabs Oy                tel: +358 9 4131 2769
 DSL Products              mobile: +358 50 353 9468
 Sinikalliontie 7          fax: +358 9 4131 2410
 02630 Espoo  FINLAND      email: marco.denicolai@tellabs.com