TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 17:34:54 +0000
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Inductance of a flat spiral coil

Malcolm Watts wrote:

>           As is shown computationally, h/d somewhere around 0.5 for a
> closewound coil certainly does score maximum inductance if wirelength
> is constant. This is mentioned in works by a number of authors, most
> notably F.E.Terman. I tried this myself a number of years ago and
> reached the same conclusion.

Great.  Mike Hollingsworth comes to a similar conclusion for the
flat spiral, by differentiating Wheeler's formula.

I'm trying to find the time to apply acmi to the ellipsoids and
conicals, to see if there is similarly an optimum shape factor
for each type, and to see if any of these can give more inductance
(for a piece of wire) than the flats and helicals. I guess nobody
else is trying this with acmi  because nobody's wrote asking for
inverse trig functions yet.

> I wonder which geometry scores highest Q for a flat spiral?

Hmm, that's a can of worms that I've got no stomach for right now,
still having indigestion from the solenoid Q prediction issue.