TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 18:10:59 +0000
Subject: [TSSP] Software for flat and conical secondaries

Hi All,

The modeling software is now modified to work on flat spirals and
cones.

It fails dismally to reproduce Dave Thomson's 325kHz from his
flat coil.  I get 625kHz.  I'm afraid that's the only measurement
I've got.  Fres measurements from flat and conical secondaries
are most welcome right now.

I'm expecting trouble from material dielectrics, in the same was
as with short h/d solenoids.  So it would be best to avoid coils
wound on thick slabs of dielectric.

VI profile predictions look encouraging.

 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/tmp/dt1.624247.gif

You see the current peak is well out from the center, and as hoped,
the effective inductance is high:

Lee: 9.60 mH
Les: 7.70 mH
Ldc: 6.25 mH

Les is 23% above Ldc, and Lee is 54% above.  However, the
transfer impedance is low, only 30K ohms.

Internal capacitance distribution,
 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/tmp/dt1.cint.gif

External capacitance distribution,
 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/tmp/dt1.cext.gif

With this model, there is next to no external capacitance near
the center of the flat coil.  I'm not modeling any supports or
anything.  Hence, no longer a bathtub shape.

The capacitances are:

 Cee: 10.53 pF
 Ces:  8.44 pF
 Cdc: 12.68 pF

We see that Cee is very high for this coil, which explains the
low transimpedance.  Normally it is around half (ish) of the DC
capacitance.  Were it not for that, we would see the full benefit
of the high effective inductance - the transimpedance would be
around 60kohm.  So that's a little disappointing.  Still, its
early days and there's plenty of room for bugs in the code.

I think now's the time to do some careful validation measurements
on flat coils.