TSSP: List Archives

From: Greg Leyh
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 08:36:59 -0800
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Ion Cloud Loading

One might suppose that any quantity that distorts the electric field
around the coil must necessarily change its tuning.  Ion clouds do
exhibit some continuous electrical properties; the ion trails left
by meteors make for useful radio reflectors.  I've been away from
serious technical study for the last couple of years, and I don't
understand how a cloud of discreet ions can exhibit properties of
sheet or solid conductors.

If the ions can persist much longer than one RF cycle, and a cloud
of them can exhibit continuous conductor properties, then it seems
feasible that the 'ion cloud' could bend the tuning, if slightly.

However, based on measurements of streamer currents into free air
(not striking grounded objects) I suspect that it's the additional
capacitance of the streamer channels themselves which are actually
responsible for any measured tuning shifts.  On Electrum it appeared
that a sizable fraction (30 to 60%) of the current feeding the sphere
went into the single ended streamer, indicating that the displacement
currents emanating from the streamer are comparable to those from the
top electrode.

Given the *low* Q of a secondary with a healthy arc hanging off the
electrode, it's unclear how much even a significant tuning shift would
affect the coil's effectiveness as a gratuitous 'air incinerator'.