TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 21:28:34 +0000
Subject: Re: Ready :-)) - Re: [TSSP] short H/D and stuff

Hi Terry,

There's only one possible doubt about this experiment - when
the coil is pinged, the base is grounded not directly, but
through the tank capacitor - 50pF I believe.  With an equivalent
shunt capacitance of only 10.65 pF at f1, this is enough to
give a reasonable facsimile of a grounded base, but it does give
some cause for concern.  The predicted current profiles assume
a firmly grounded base.  The effect of this capacitive ground
connection would be to raise the current max even further up the
coil, and to increase the current at the max.

Unfortunately I can't quickly reconfigure the model to check the
effect of small series C in the ground connection.  Can you specify
just what the pinging circuit consists of, and is it possible to
use a larger tank C for the impulse, say 500 pF?  If Fres doesn't
alter more than 1% on going from 50pF to 500pF I'd say the effect
on the current profile would be neglectable.  The fact that the
model already gives a good account of the coil's resonances is
encouraging, and means I'm probably worrying about nothing.