TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 13:30:57 -0700
Subject: Re: [TSSP] short H/D and stuff

Hi Paul,

At 07:49 PM 3/21/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>Terry wrote:
>> http://hot-streamer.com/temp/P3200029.JPG
>
>That's looking very good. A very neat coil. Are you winding by hand
>or do you have a machine?

Just by hand.  It goes pretty easy and fast really compared to figuring out
a machine.  Connecting the pins is what takes the time.  When I get it
done, I'll measure it all out and such.

>Without modeling this coil in detail, we can say roughly that for
>h/d=1, the current maximum will be around 30% of the way in from
>the grounded end, and at that point the current will be roughly 20%
>higher than the base current (the exact values will depend a little
>on the coil's height above the ground plane).  Therefore, if you
>can achieve 1% accuracy on the measurements, the results should be
>very clear indeed.

Should it be tested on a split foil ground plane?

Do you have any idea of what resistor value should be used?

>If you can 'ping' the coil with a base voltage pulse and grab the
>Ibase waveform, that'll give me the mode spectrum - much better
>than sweeping with a sig gen!  I suspect that there should be enough
>info in those ping waveforms for me to calculate the current profile
>without knowing the coil's dimensions!  But I haven't worked out
>how to do that yet (:

I am working on a nice pinger for the Q experiment.  Your FFTs of the base
current you sent to the Tesla list looked really great!  That seems to be a
great way to measure all these parameters in a single flash.  I might as
well make an "official" tester to do that.  I guess those pinger things
need some kind of name...