TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:28:53 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Secondary voltage stress factor

Bert wrote:

> creeping leader surface discharges "hug" the surface of a
> dielectric, and are enhanced when there's a conductive plane on the
> opposite side at a different potential. As the leader propagates
> along the dielectric surface, streamers fan out and collect higher
> displacement current than if the leader was propagating in free air

One of my favourite HV games is playing a 'hot' electrode across the
surface of a pond or pool, which seems to give impressive displays -
longer 'streamers' with much more branching, spreading out across
the water surface. Is this a related thing?

I suppose then the enhancement by a conductive surface on the
opposite side occurs because of the resulting 'shunt' capacitance
that the streamer current has to charge up, ie more current,
therefore hotter.

Is this surface leader propagation enhanced because the
mobile charges in the leader have less opportunity to escape,
since half of their lateral escape route is blocked by the
dielectric surface across which charges cannot move.  Is it this
lateral confinement that makes the difference?

I'd like to know the peak base current of some coils that are
exhibiting racing arcs, so that we can work out what the V/cm is
along the coil.  I'm keen to get some examples which show how much
lower than 26kV/cm the problem starts at.  They would be very
useful numbers for coilers.