TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 20:45:47 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Secondary voltage stress factor

[breakdown]

John wrote:
> It may be helpful to make the secondary surface ribbed like an HV
> insulator.  The winding would be normal,

Yeah.  Maybe a secondary could be built from a stack of rings
alternating with insulated discs.  Each ring say 50 turns

          |            |
          |            |  ring
       --------------------    disc
          |            |
          |            |
       --------------------
          |            |
          |            |

Be nice if these could be mass produced, to stack arbitrarily,
so that you could build ad hoc cones, cylinders, etc.  Easy to
expt then with different wire sizes, non-uniform wire, magnifiers,
etc.  Just have a stock of lots of different diameter rings and
discs and just pile them up for a given experiment.  Damaged bits
easily discarded. Coils easy to tap for measurements. Sort of a
coiler's Lego kit.  Sort of thing the Geek group could turn out,
perhaps?

[racing arcs on inside]

John wrote:
> I've never heard of it happening.

> may be to use a clear lucite or plexiglas form, then spacewind
> the winding,

Yes, or maybe a mirror propped at an angle beneath the coil.

I suppose if that sort of breakdown is going to occur, it would
happen first on the outside, net of any defects on the inner
surface?

Well I don't think we can say much more without some base
current measurements from a racing arc coil.  It would be very
nice to have an idea of what V/cm this starts at.