TSSP: List Archives

From: FutureT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:13:02 EDT
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Secondary voltage stress factor

--part1_111.11889dd3.2a0038ae_boundary

In a message dated 4/30/02 2:09:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Mddeming@aol.com
writes:

Paul, Matt, all,

another way to observe the inside of the secondary may be to
use a clear lucite or plexiglas form, then spacewind the
winding, so that one can directly see inside from the outside
and from the side,  while the coilis running.  A 50% spacewind
should allow a pretty good view inside I would think

Cheers,
John

> Hi Paul,
>
> I've never heard of it happening.  Although I've heard of sparks
> shooting down through the secondary, but I've never seen
> them myself, and I'm not sure if they hug the coil former.
>
> Cheers,
> John

Hi Paul, John, All,
Interesting question. Perhaps a well-shielded camcorder aimed up inside a
secondary would turn something up. Right now, I lack the resources to risk
toasting a camcorder or ruining a coil with breakdown, but it's tempting to
add to my push-down stack of stuff to try.
Staying curious,
Matt D.