TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 22:35:47 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Secondary voltage stress factor

Bert wrote:

> I would expect that the initiating conditions for surface
> discharges could exist at E-fields of 10 kV/cm, perhaps less...

That's low enough to be within reach of some practical coils then.

For a coil like Thor, which could reach over 400kV if the bang
were 20kV, the secondary is long enough to give an average gradient
of around 2.5kV/cm, and even when multiplied by a stress factor
this would still fall well short of a 10kV/cm threshold.

Terry's small coil could reach 250kV with a 10kV bang, an average of
around 3.8kV/cm, and the stress factor for this toroided coil is 1.5,
so we might expect to find an occasional peak of 5.7kV/cm.

Chris Swinson's flat coil 350kV over 55cm radius gives an average of
6.4kV/cm, and with a stress factor of around 2.2 could reach 14kV/cm
occassionaly.

(the above mentioned stress factors include the effect of primary
 induction, which is not quite what we're constructing in the table,
 eg the 'table' value for the above coil is 2.05 rather than 2.21).

Forget the base current measurements. I'll settle for anecdotal
reports of primary bang voltage at which given coils begin racing
arcs.

> http://www.sandia.gov/media/images/jpg/Z02.jpg

And the energy we see dissipated in the picture is just the leakage!
A few slight mods and it would make a wicked can crusher :).

> http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/8063/lichtenb.htm

Yeah, they're the ones.  Nice site.

Boris wrote:

> I'm not very optimistic in determining its start by
> simulation nor possibility for discovering all the
> critical factors that enable the phenomenon.

Nor am I, for the reasons you give.  I appreciate the reminder that
the dV/dx on the conductor is not the same thing as the grad(V) on
the dielectric surface.  And the scale factor problem that you
describe is a serious obstacle.  Treating the thin coating by the
method of equivalent surface charges is I think not viable.  It is
tricky enough trying to account for the thicker dielectric of the
coil form.  Numerous unknown factors must be involved in determining
the longitudinal breakdown voltage at the coating surface, and I see
no hope of predicting it from any set of first principles.  This is
a case where we must collect data from actual coils and see if it
is consistent enough to establish a predictive recipe.  What we're
after is an estimate of that surface breakdown voltage, in terms of
the coil dV/dx that coincides with it.  Given such a recipe, we can
predict, for a given coil, whether racing arcs are likely.