TSSP: List Archives

From: boris petkovic
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 04:07:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Secondary voltage stress factor

Bert,All,

(regarding racing spark problematics)
I'm not very optimistic in determining its start by
simulation nor possibility for discovering all the
critical factors that enable the phenomenon.

Currently,we can simulate (quite accuratelly asuming
no losses or known primary losses) transient response
of secondary given coupling and typical system
geometry --->Voltage time-space function.
But despite relatively low critical voltage gradient
condition Bert reffers to,I'm not convinced ideal
clean dielectric will show start of racing spark
before somewhere ,at some point in time critical
surface E field strenght reaches ~26-28 Kv/cm.
Whatever be the main reason of racing spark creation
in that case ,it may travel latter in much less
intensive fields without problems.

Even if we knew the exact parametrs desribing the
process there's lack of satisfaction with present E
field simulations in very surface of coil coating.
Since two resonators of same height H,but different
diameters D with same Vtop and even same voltage
profiles may have Emax different on their coating
surface,field simulator is necessary (E=grad(V) in
space coordinates).
Programs like E-Tesla field introduce more error as
point in space gets closer to a resonator surface.This
must be especially true for thin coating and small
wire diameters.
Dielectric "memory" of coil form and coating togather
with amount of coupling is another factor that
contributes to local field increase.
I have no idea how to deal with this problem becouse
it varies from case to case.

Let alone all said ,what to say about surface charges
coming  from a nearby top electrode ion cloud during
longer runs?
Treat that right and with good preceison,and
substitute yourself among gods.

Regards,
Boris

http://health.yahoo.com