TSSP: List Archives

From: "Malcolm Watts"
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 18:26:24 +1200
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Secondary voltage stress factor

Hi Terry,

On 2 May 2002, at 17:43, Terrell W. Fritz wrote:

> An observation...
>
> Hi Adam,
>
> A local coiler here had the same problem.  We raised the secondary about an
> inch and very carefully tuned to coil and the sparks went away just fine.
>
> If the coil is out of tune, I think you get some pure transformer action (turns
> ratio voltages) and you can get very big primary to secondary arcs (we got a
> foot+ !)  When the coil is in tune, the voltage on the secondary smooths out
> and everything is fine.  The tuning was very sharp!  We had to get it within
> 1/4 turn on like a 12 turn primary.  In our case, even with perfect tune will
> still had a little problem near full power (15/120 NST) so we raised the
> secondary a little which fixed it right up.
>
> Cheers,
>
>         Terry

I/m not sure I agree with the assertion about transformer action. For
one thing, coupling is still very loose. I *am* willing to bet that a
significant voltage maxima occurred lower down the resonator than
usual. What does the model have to say about it? Turns ratio is
actually the best you can do if k = 1.

Regards,
Malcolm