TSSP: List Archives

From: boris petkovic
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 11:15:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Secondary voltage stress factor

Bert wrote:

 There are a number of studies that imply
> surface fields of
> 5-10kV/cm are sufficient to cause further leader
> growth once a leader
> has been initiated. But I believe Boris is also
> correct - the point of
> initiation will still require a local E-field in the
> 26-30 kV/cm range to
> trigger initial ionization. E-fields of this
> magnitude might occur at
> localized defects in the winding insulation,
> imbedded particulate
> matter, or defects in the surface coating.
---
I mentioned 26kV/cm figure only in the context of
ideal dielectric surface,where air strata in its
vicinity  starts to break down by itself (it will do
that also in absence of insulator).However,perfect
insulator ,or anything perfect in reality, does not
exist.A real insultor  transcendent surface-atmosphere
envelope has some finite conductivity in quasy-uniform
fields .
I seem to remember reading somewhere the study  where
authors put very clean excelent insulators  having
smooth cylindrical walls, between two parallel big
plate electrodes.Species were tested by 50 Hz and DC
voltage.No matter how they tried hard no insulator
shown more than 12kV/cm strenght before flashover
occured.I can't be sure but I think they reported
somewhat less strenght in DC voltage tests.
Humidity and some other influences (appart from
possible microscopic increase of local field magnitude
due to never perfectly smooth insulator surface)may be
reason for only 12Kv/cm limit?

regards,
Boris

http://health.yahoo.com