TSSP: List Archives

From: Bert Hickman
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 21:59:10 -0500
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Secondary voltage stress factor

Paul and all,

Those are some VERY interesting animations, with many implications.
However, I don't think the transients will be as nearly great as the
model indicates for arrested leaders (in-air leaders not arcing to
ground). In addition to adding capacitive loading, the streamer channel
is also quite resistive. Charge transfer from the toroid to the leader
should cease once the topload voltage declines to the point where
ionization can no longer be maintained at the leader tip(s) due to
terminal voltage drop and voltage drop across the leader.

A relatively small (10-20%?) drop in terminal voltage would likely be
sufficient to stop any further leader propagation until the terminal
voltage can recover sufficiently to resume leader growth - this implies
significant residual charge is left in the toroid after the leader
propagates. The present model used in the animations is a fair
approximation for a power spark to ground, but is not an accurate model
for an arrested leader that doesn't reach ground. Perhaps an uncharged
capacitance (to represent the leader and streamers), in series with
leader channel resistance, suddenly connected to the topload the instant
the leader propagates. Terry has done some measurements (quite some time
back) that may be useful for plugging in leader R and C parameters for a
model...

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--