TSSP: List Archives

From: boris petkovic
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 13:49:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Secondary voltage stress factor

Hi Paul,All,

> I've updated the web page
>
>  http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/pn040502/
>
> with the constant-energy versions, and I've started
> work on
> some examples of wilder tunings.

Fine.Good thing they're rearranged that way .
I thought before ('couse I assumed constant Ep then)
you were messing with various primary loss models from
display to display.
Now,it's obvious there's just loss to a secondary Q
impact (besides,no real spark gap primary can have Q
that high ).On other hand ,the simulated secondary
isn't much of  high Q buster.Isn't that Terry's low Q
secondary specimen we have already discussing about on
TSSP list?

As concerns "racing sparks saga continued".. I'm
brainstorming about more alternatives that could
possibly trigger these discharges.One that still
intrigues me the most, is a dielectric "memory" and
its link with higher couplings.Higher k introduces
more DC component in a secondary wave,and dielectric
memory should be more sensitive in that case.Not too
much to contribute in overall E-field picture,but
locally -there and there- could something be up.
In time pauses less than 1/100 s in usual TC
runs,dielectric could really stay polarized to a
certain degree,and from bang to bang ..
 DC powered systems should show more problems,but as
they operate fine such effects aren't very expressed I
guess.
What the others think about this?
Neverthless,lotta to ponder.Not enough explanation
yet.

One way or another,racing sparks need some time to
develop and grow and are matter of continious runs in
my opinion.
Example:Dale Hall's single pulse operated TC.
h=20",d=6", toroid 24"*6"  ;coupling k~0.2,Ep=5 J,
Fresonant>200 khz.
Vsmax>450 kv without breakout point adjanced (with a
piece of wire on toroid, 3'+ point to point arcs on
regular basis!).
The Coil doesn't experience  racing sparks.

> Also, I'll try another of those transients, this
> time with the
> topload clamped to earth by the discarge for a long
> period of
> time - several cycles, because I guess that will be
> more
> representative of a real ground strike.
----
But,real coils discharge  in that case for a mere
fraction of resonant TC semicycle (microsecond or so
and 95% of energy "gone with a wind").

Regards,
Boris

http://health.yahoo.com