TSSP: List Archives

From: boris petkovic
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 12:15:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Secondary voltage stress factor

Hi Paul,

Nice job done as concerns modeling and conclusions on
John's coil.
Please,receive thanks from all of us, for spending
your time and energy in developing simulation
programs.You're carying the heaviest burden by far in
TSSP.

Paul wrote:
> Well certainly the topload energy is lost quickly,
> but the coil
> energy will take several cycles to dissipate. The
> coil *charge* will
> need a quarter-cycle to drain from the coil, but in
> doing so most of
> its energy will be transferred to the coil's B
> field, and the coil
> will continue to oscillate like this (with both ends
> grounded, ie in
> the half wave mode) for a few cycles until all the
> coil energy is
> dissipated in the arc of the topload discharge.
---
When a typical TC resonator disspiate energy tru shot
near peak of its' voltage wave ,the mayority of energy
is lost in HF burst in MHz range and only about 5% or
so of inital energy is left to oscillate aproximatelly
like you describe.Once,I had been ready to think just
like you but changed my mind after seeing real scope
discharges of several units.
Furtherly ,problem being here that these violent
transients occure at 5 ,10 ,20 Mhz or more and EM
theory not yet imbeded in a software starts to play
important role.Coil physical size,enviroment of
discharging ciruit and other parameters greatly
determine overall picture too.
----

So I
> think the
> arc discharge will remain for a few cycles.
---
It will ,if a power arc is short in comparation with
it's max. point to point lenght capability.Most
definitely,if you connect top electrode to the
grounding via wire ,that will detune (heavily) TC
system and for a successful transfer of energy (new
~half wave resonance) retuning is a must.But,this can
not be the situation you're looking for?

regards,
Boris

http://shopping.yahoo.com