TSSP: List Archives

From: "Barton B. Anderson"
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 17:51:18 +0000
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Secondary voltage stress factor

Hi Paul, All,

Paul wrote:

> As regards dielectric polarisation - I seem to recall coils that
> give racing arcs being associated with static shocks during handling
> of the secondary, and that discussions have revolved around how
> the racing arcs caused the static - but perhaps it is the static
> causing the racing arcs?

I don't think the two are related. This weekend I threw my SRSG back into
action. In doing so, I remounted items. My secondary coupling ended up a
little higher (0.145) and I got racing arcs while testing the gap. I
haven't changed anything since. I distictly checked the coil for static
and I can't detect a static charge on the coil, yet in it's current
configuration, I'll get racing sparks everytime I fire it up and turn up
the power. This coil is on thick white pvc with a wall of 0.27 inch and
heavily coated. If I can get racing arcs without a static charge, then
the two are not related. I think it's simply coincidence.

BTW, I've never had a static charge or shock on any of my coils and I'm
not sure why. I know it's not climate since I've run in MN (cold and dry
in the winter - humid in the summer) and now in CA, I see no change. My
hookup is simple and standard. I can't imagine why others get static
charge and shocks, and I don't. Since I can't identify what causes it, I
can only identify what doesn't cause it.

Take care,
Bart