TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 00:47:53 +0100
Subject: [TSSP] Topload breakout potentials

Hi All,

There's still some more work to do on the stress factor tables but
I thought I'd mention the next job lined up for Terry's computer.

The capacitance program tcap has been extended to calculate the
surface potentials around the topload(s). For each toroid and sphere
it identifies the the highest surface gradient on the electrode and
reports the value in units of kV/cm per kV of topvolts, or V/cm/V if
you like.  I'm trying to get a handle on the accuracy but it will
likely be around 5%.

This can be run for either isolated toploads, or for toploads atop
a particular coil, in which case the gradients are the in-situ
gradients of the topload.

Terry, I'd like to set your computer onto the task of computing a
table of these values, for a range of toroid sizes and coil sizes,
if that's ok?

I suspect that we'll find that the highest gradient on the topload
won't be very dependent on the secondary size.  If this hypothesis
turns out to be the case, then we can construct a fairly accurate
table of breakout voltages (assuming say 26kV/cm as the threshold)
for a range of toroid sizes.

If such a table could be validated against reports of real coils,
then we would have a means of calculating an optimum toroid size
for a given coil and bang size.

Just needs a bit of thought on how to arrange the table. Do folk
usually describe toroids by a tube diameter and an outer diameter?