TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 00:57:00 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Secondary voltage stress factor

Boris wrote:

> Maybe  high Mhz EM bursts at the begging of primary
> conductive state could couple locally some energy and
> induce enough of E-field in the very bottom of the
> secondary?

> Take a look at THOR primary current msm at :
>  http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/md110701

Yes!  I've never looked into that initial high frequency
ringing.  We don't know to what extent the primary is
involved in this, but if the primary is ringing at it's
self resonant modes with sufficient energy then it would
apply major stress to the region of the secondary close
to the primary.  If sufficient energy was involved, it could
also help to explain the reported inner-turn heating effect.

I know the ringing frequencies on Thor from the FT, so I'll
test the response of the secondary to primary excitation at
those frequencies.  Perhaps we can relate the modeled amplitudes
to the observed ringing to estimate the energy involved.

Could be a promising direction to look in, and it would be
interesting to see if a case of racing arcs - the kind that
appear close to the primary, could be cured by some damping
around the spark gap.

Well, along with the 20% and 50% tuning models, and another
one where I'm tuning the primary to the 3/4 wave, modeling
Bart's coil, and this closer look at Thor, that just about
fills my computer up for the weekend!

Hmm, come to think of it, the model will churn out the mode
spectrum for the primary if I just rename it as the secondary.