TSSP: List Archives

From: FutureT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 16:59:35 EDT
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Secondary voltage stress factor

--part1_181.8210f16.2a0c3d37_boundary

petkovic7@yahoo.com writes:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Nice job done as concerns modeling and conclusions on
> John's coil.
> Please,receive thanks from all of us, for spending
> your time and energy in developing simulation
> programs.You're carying the heaviest burden by far in
> TSSP.
>
> Paul, Boris, all,

I'd like to second Boris's comments.  Paul is truly making
impressive progress with TC modeling, simulations, analyses,
etc.

When I originally built the TT-42, the secondary winding
extended 1/4" lower than it does now.  In other words, the
secondary winding was 1/4" longer.  At that time, the bottom
2" of the coil burned up in places from racing sparks.  The
racing sparks appeared only at that bottom section.  I removed
the bottom 2" of the winding, and rewound that section with 1 3/4"
of wire.  This stopped the racing sparks by reducing the coupling.
The specs I gave to Kurt are correct for the present arrangement.

Later, when I tested a triggered gap on the coil, the
gap often misfired, and racing sparks sometimes occured.
In normal 120 bps sync gap operation, racing spark never
appear now.  I'll check my notes and things and see if I can
get a better estimation of the bang size.  The coating on the
coil is water-based polyurethane.  The coating is rather thin,
so the individual wires can be detected easily with one's
fingernail.

Cheers,
John