TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 21:17:12 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Topload breakout potentials

Hi Paul,

All Tesla coils are tuned roughly 6% low ;-)

When big streamers are present, the streamers add capacitance to the top load
decreasing the resonant frequency.  So to get the maximum power to the streamer
loaded coil, we start off with the primary tuned about 5-8% on the low side.
As the streamer grows to full size, the secondary resonant frequency drops to
match this lower tuning point of the primary.

For the streamer load formula that states a streamer is about 220k ohms in
series with 1pF per foot of streamer length, this roughly works out right.

I have never done it, but I wonder if a few bits of wire bent to the shape of a
streamer and stuck on a secondary toroid would drop the resonant frequency this
same amount.  I suppose one might figure out how to put a 220k resistor in
there too.

I am working on getting a simple Faraday cage going so I can play again with my
measurement toys.  I was not able to do much for quite some time since the
playroom was in another use.  Now the room is free but computers and Ethernet
have spread in the house...

These reports are quite dated and the equipment now is far better but perhaps
of some interest:

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/spark1/sparkgap.html

Not also the "raw data":

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/spark1/1-42.txt

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/spark1/1-8.jpg
http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/spark1/9-16.jpg
http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/spark1/17-24.jpg
http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/spark1/25-32.jpg
http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/spark1/33-40.jpg
http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/spark1/41-42.jpg

Be thinking of new information you may wish me to take for your efforts.  I
have collected quite an arsenal of test equipment with vastly greater
capabilities since 1998 :-))))  Now it is time to get it working!!