TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 23:25:27 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Topload breakout potentials

Marc wrote:

> Topload toroid is a fairly smooth 6.5" aluminum ducting with
> a total diameter of 30.5" so 6.5" x 30.5"
> I tried measuring capacitance of it but i came up with 29.6pf,
> wintesla says  33.01pf for it?

Floating in free space, this toroid would have 32.462574 pF.
Inside your room (with my guesses for walls, ceiling, etc) it
comes out around 42.3pF, and in-situ above the coil it contributes
36.2pF to the total shunt capacitance of the resonator.

The toploaded secondary Fres comes out around 38.5 kHz, I assumed
the toroid is mounted just clear of the top of the coil.  The
primary seems to be tuned a little lower - 36 kHz, so either
the model is over 6% out on frequency, or you are doing the
same as John - tuning the primary to the low side of the secondary.

With a secondary Cee of 44.7 pF, your primary bang energy of
0.5 * 52 nF * 34 kV^2 = 30J would give a peak topvolts of
sqrt( 2 * 30J/44.7pF) = 1160 kV if tuned. This topload has a
highest surface gradient of 0.031 V/cm per volt of topvolts.
Therefore your toroid surface field will try to reach
0.031 * 1160 = 36 kV/cm, which ought to give very early
breakout with lots of short streamers.

Incidentally, if tuned correctly, the average gradient along
the secondary would be 1160kV/103cm = 11.3 kV/cm, and the
stress factor for your h/d=4.6 winding is around 1.37, so
giving a maximum gradient of 11.3 * 1.37 = 15.6 kV/cm, not
including any 'corrugation' factor.

The computer is currently working on the out of tune model using
your tap settings and it should be done in a couple of
hours, so it will be interesting to see what surface gradient
that reaches.

How can we determine whether Marc's and John's primaries are
really tuned low, or whether the model is just not representing
them properly?

Tuning low seems to keep quite a lot of energy in the primary,
thus reducing the peak topvolts but perhaps enabling the beat
envelope to be sustained over more beats, thus generating
fewer streamers but allowing them to grow longer.  Is this a
recommended way to deal with a too-small topload?