TSSP: List Archives

From: marc metlicka
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 12:21:56 -0400
Subject: Re: [TSSP] racing arc thought

hello all,
I have some thoughts in the back of my mind about those thick poly
coatings over the windings on most coils, you see, I never saw a acing
arc until the very first coil that i coated with many layers of spray
polyurethane? Most all my coils are a "moto finish" red, this is because
i tended to coat the windings in layer after layer of insulating
varnish. I liked the 2kv per mil. of dielectric property and the color
is nice too.

I did wind a very small coil onto a "creamora" bottle (polystyrene" i
believe) This coil would race up down and sideways even with a 530 nst
turned low. This was also the first coil that gave me the "extended
charge" zap after a run, since i coated it in moto finish, I tend to
believe the charge was in the former? I have a "gut" feeling that those
thick coats of poly can build a static charge that at the very least,
cannot help guard against racing arcs.
Just a thought of mine that i'd be interested in hearing other opinions
on.
Take care,
Marc