TSSP: List Archives

From: "Barton B. Anderson"
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 16:11:39 +0000
Subject: Re: [TSSP] racing arc thought

Hi Marc,

For coils which do contain a charge, I have to believe it's either in the
former or coating. It may be the makeup of the poly. I use marine spar
varnish and never get a static build up. From all the posts on the list
regarding this subject, I've often wondered if it was the former. Before
this last coil, I used sonotube. This last coil I used pvc. In both formers,
a static charge still is not detectible (at least without a sensitive static
meter). Because of this, I would suspect it is the coating itself. Materials
such as nylon will remember and build a charge easily. It's possible some of
the coatings others are using contain similar property's. This might explain
why I haven't experienced a static charged secondary. The reason I chose
marine spar varnish was due to running in freezing temps in MN (I wanted a
flexible coating that wouldn't crack under extreme weather changes).
Although I'm in CA now, I still use it.

Take care,
Bart