TSSP: List Archives

From: Bert Hickman
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 22:51:24 -0500
Subject: Re: [TSSP] racing arc thought

Bart and all,

I agree with you re: static build up for grounded resonators being
mostly a phenomenon of the outer coating. If there were stranded charges
trapped on the coil former itself (a possibility with an excellent
insulators such as PVC), the grounded secondary winding should shield
most of the internal charge trapped on the former from appearing outside
except past the ends of the winding where the former is uncovered.
However, this would not be the case for a highly insulating outer
conformal coating.

My 10" coil uses a relatively thick (1/16" to 3/32") coating of Behr
Build 50 (which I think is a two-part clear epoxy resin) on a 10" PVC
former. The coating build up a very substantial (read "painful!")
charge, particularly near the top of the resonator. I can easily feel
the strong E-field with the hairs on the back of my hand, and hear the
snapping of partial discharges as they spark to my fingertips as I
approach and touch the highly charged regions of the conformal coating.
And, if I'm wearing rubber soled shoes, my entire body gets charged up
in the process - I can get zapped quite nicely by then touching the
grounded toroid. The first time this happened it was with my forehead...
OUCH! The charging/discharging sequence can be repeated many times
before the charge is finally reduced.

All bets are off when the secondary ground is removed... stranded
internal former charges may then contribute to coilers getting nailed
even more strongly while carrying loose formers. BTW, getting "nailed"
from a charged resonator is an official rite of passage for novice
coilers to graduate to "experienced" coilers...  :^)

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman