TSSP: List Archives

From: "Barton B. Anderson"
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 16:29:09 +0000
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Topload breakout potentials

Hi Paul,

Paul wrote:

> For Bart's coil,
>
> Bang energy = 0.5 * 61nF * 15.3kV^2 = 7.1J
>
> Cee = 47pF, so peak topvolts is at most
>
>    sqrt( 2 * 7.1J/47pF) = 550 kV.
>
> The model is only registering around 460 kV so I guess I haven't
> quite got the primary in tune.  Are you able to measure the
> secondary Fres with everything in-situ, with primary gap open?

Yes, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow. I was using my equipment at
work. I'll bring it home tomorrow and measure.

> Have I got the toroid size correct: 30" outer diameter and a 9"
> diameter tube?

Yes. The 30" is the outer diameter, not diameter at centers.

> The surface gradient is 0.026 V/cm/V so could achieve 0.026 * 550 =
> 14.3 kV/cm. That seems to fall well short of the 26kV/cm we expect,
> yet you're getting substantial breakout.  The only quantity used
> from the tssp model is the Cee=47pF, which we know isn't going to be
> very far out - a couple of percent at most.  You have a smooth
> toroid so we can't blame surface rugosities.  Maybe I'm working out
> the surface gradient incorrectly.  The method I'm using is based
> very directly on the charge distribution computed for the toroid as
> a step in the capacitance determination.  I tried another different
> method too, which gave similar values.

I agree it's odd. There are some differences I believe. I'm running in
STR mode. John and Marc may be running in LTR mode. The fact that I'm
using a hefty transformer allows me to charge a cap pretty darn fast. I
wonder if it's charging beyond the xfmr voltage? I typically breakout
around 12mH on the ballast, which is about 40% on the ballast variac.

> >From your description, I'd say that the coil started out being
> well in tune at 13 turns, and by tuning low to turn 14 you got fewer
> and longer streamers, which is similar to John's and Marc's coils.
> So that bit makes sense.  You detuned the primary further by
> raising the secondary Fres and this further concentrated the
> breakout into a single long streamer.  Again that makes sense.
>
> Unless something odd is happening in Bart's charging circuit to
> give a bang something approaching four times the 7.1J estimated, then
> we may have to conclude that for some reason toploads are breaking
> out at less than 14kV/cm rather than up around 26kV/cm.

I doubt it. 14kV/cm just seems to low for the surface to ionize. I
suspect I am seeing a higher voltage at the cap upon conduction. I
suspect I can check this with a simple static gap? Maybe using identical
1" brass sphere's, I could run it a few seconds and see if it will run at
120bps in this mode. Setting the sphere gap to 0.5" should require an arc
voltage of ~28kV to arc across. Assuming I leave the ballast variac at
it's SRSG position (same current), I could begin decreasing distance
until I get breakover. The arc voltage should be able to be back calc'd
from the distance.

Take care,
Bart