TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 22:28:56 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Racing arcs

Boris wrote:

> I noticed that few days ago in my post (but without
> reaction then)

Yes, it was your comment that set me thinking along these
lines.  I had been content to ignore that bit of 'fluff' at
the start of Marco's base current waveform.

> At 2 Mhz and more racing sparks will
> hardly be instantly ignited,but there could be
> invisible corona flashes ignitions (cold compared to
> TC discharges)

Yes, perhaps enough to form a seeds for more substantial
streamer growth by the Fres voltage.

> Dampings of various wave modes makes
> this issue even more problematic to see what actual
> max gradients we get.

Indeed.  Talking of damping, I've never had much success in
modeling the loss due to mutual L coupling to shorted loops
such as the toroid.  But I have noticed that the effect of
eddy losses seems to increase rapidly with frequency. Perhaps
Bart lowering his topload actually enabled toroid eddy currents
to dampen the 'racing arc modes'.