TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 18:51:50 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Racing arcs

John wrote:

> I tapped the primary at 14.5 turns with the 6" x 24" toroid,
> and I got racing sparks about 1" from the top of the
> winding, and also at about 1" or 2" from the bottom.  These were
> intense, and a "pop" sound was heard.

> ...there was spark breakout during the above test.

Hmm. That's interesting.  When I was modeling the response of
Thor to that initial burst of HF, the highest voltages seemed to
occur a little way in from each end.

I copied the graph to

 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/tmp/thor-hf.gif

The horizontal axis is turns along the coil. LH axis = volts,
RH axis=current.

The red trace is the volts, and it's scaled for 4mA of
base current.  Thus for a 10 amp burst of HF, the 35 volts of
that left hand peak is actually 35 * 10/0.004 = 87kV at
5% of the coil height, with similar at the top.

I guess we'll only make sense of all this when we can
get a TC carefully set up with base current and topvolts
capture.  If we can find a coil which can be tuned for breakout/
no-breakout/racing-arcs/no-racing-arcs then we can look and
see (tcma) exactly what frequencies and amplitudes are present
in the coil.

I feel that we are making progress on this topic.  We have plenty
of candidate explanations for racing arcs, but we can't say which
apply in any given case:  Over driving, over coupling, severe tuning,
HF ringing, discharge transients, dielectric polarisation.
We ough to be able to narrow this list down by a close look at
some base current waveforms.