TSSP: List Archives

From: marc metlicka
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 22:16:54 -0400
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Topload breakout potentials

Paul,
 All very impressive!

Paul wrote:

> I sorted out the surface gradient - there was indeed a
> programmer's brain fault at this end.  The surface
> gradients are all double those reported over the weekend.
>
> I've recalculated everything and assembled four coils for
> comparison into a web page
>
>  http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/cmod/
>
> Still a few holes to fill.   Marc,

I have never seen racing arcs on this coil, I did get primary to
secondary flashovers if i raised the primary above the bottom turn of
the secondary, but the streamers would single out and get longer. this
is why i put the pvc layer of tape over the windings so i could get
close to single streamers at 110"-120" lengths.
I went back and looked at the AVI's of the 3k coil running with tape and
very tight coupling, I looked at them frame by frame and i still see
multiple streamers. The strange thing is that when there is a single
streamer beginning from the toroid, i can actually see it grow and
branch,
these arms extend and branch out from the extended arms of the branch's,
these are the longest. then a new streamer starts in another area and
then multiple streamers will develop again?
Of the few AVI's i have of this coil running, i have one of the primary
at base turn level without tape on the windings, this was on a very damp
night and i do see a corona along the secondary when the streamers make
the transition from one side to another. so i think the secondary
windings see the same or close to the same voltage as the topload just
before breakout? The corona starts a little below the toroid shielding
and i can see the beginnings of streamers, or corona starting from the
toroid, then arcs form within this corona cloud and then streamers.
Nice weather is coming so more pics will be coming, and it looks like i
will be adding topC and primary turns. (or changing to the pulse cap
packs i have?)
Much to come
Take care,
Marc M.