TSSP: List Archives

From: FutureT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 12:49:03 EDT
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Racing arcs

Paul, Malcolm, all,

another thing I thought I'd mention is a comment from the
Corums'.  I don't have confidence in them, but this could
maybe be a factor.  They mentioned that when the frequencies
split due to overcoupling, the lower primary split frequency
currents tend to be in phase with the secondary, but the higher split
frequencies tend to be out of phase with the secondary.  I was
thinking that maybe these out of phase conditions are causing
an extra voltage stress between primary and secondary which is
promoting racing sparks near the bottom of the secondary?
I don't know if this makes sense?

This could fit in with what Malcolm said perhaps, about
tuning lower to emphasis the lower frequency.  This would
reduce the out of phase higher frequency component, and
perhaps lessen voltage stresses that may cause racing
sparks?

In a voltage stress vein of observation, I have noticed that
various sharp points on the primary, can cause racing spots
at the facing areas of the secondary.

Cheers,
John