TSSP: List Archives

From: FutureT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 11:03:55 EDT
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Topload breakout potentials

--part1_a2.25887018.2a112fdb_boundary

In a message dated 5/12/02 4:26:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
petkovic7@yahoo.com writes:

> (about TT42 19 kv/cm on toroid and any form of of
> visible breakout):
> ***************
> In normal atmospheric conditions (20 C,1 bar,normal
> humidity factor 1) 19 Kv/cm can not support corona
> ignition by no means.
> Somehypotesis regarding this pecularity arise :
> 1)Toroid geometry isn't pure toroidal or geometry
> togather with coil body isn't defined very precisely.
>
> 2)Toroid isn't perfectly smooth but this case is
> hardly to belive knowing John's expertise in making
> them.

Paul, Boris, all,

This was an early toroid.  It's smooth, but does not hold
a steady ROC.  There's a concentric ridge which is sharper (tighter
curve).  It breaks out from there if I put that part on top,
but it breaks out from a more even area if I put that part
on the bottom.  this area is about 20 degrees from teh
horizontal.  The toroid always breaks out 20 to 24 degrees
above the horizontal.

> 4)Bang size energy varies or is higher.

I did some more measurements for the TT-42 coil,
and the bang size may possibly be even higher than
I thought.  It may be as high as 5.2J or so.

Cheers,
John