TSSP: List Archives

From: FutureT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 18:31:49 EDT
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Racing arcs

--part1_25.27840f32.2a1198d5_boundary

In a message dated 5/12/02 7:37:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla123@pacbell.net writes:

> As a matter of fact, yes. The racing arc was directly in front of me most
> of the time. There were a couple behind the coil, but mostly in the same
> path along the secondary. Start from the top and traveled in a streight
> path all the way down. Upon inspection after the testing, there was no
> damage and no contaminants I could see that would have caused them, but
> it was mainly localized to a particular path.
>
> Bart
>
> Bart, Paul, all,

I wonder why some racing sparks are the type that travel all
the way from top to bottom of secondary (the entire distance),
whereas others are localized to the bottom, or center, etc.
I wonder if it's simply a matter of degree, or if something else
is happening?  In some cases, I've had numerous racing
sparks occuring at many simultaneous spots on the secondary,
yet none went very far.  These usually occured when quenching
failed, or at least when the gap overheated, I think.  The kind of
racing sparks
that reached the full secondary length occured due to overcoupling
it seems  ( I was using a very tight coupling in this case. )

I know that racing sparks near the top of the secondary can
be caused by mistuning (primary freq too high, so the voltage
peaks below the coil's top).

Cheers,
John