TSSP: List Archives

From: FutureT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 18:44:18 EDT
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Topload breakout potentials

--part1_168.d968c1e.2a119bc2_boundary

In a message dated 5/12/02 4:26:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
petkovic7@yahoo.com writes:

> > Is there really more than one streamer, or is this
> > persistance of
> > vision?  Do we need to argue about the 3pF/metre
> > streamer cap?  It
> > ought to depend on the thickness of the streamer,

Paul, all,

Maybe in some cases they are truly simultaneous, but
not in others.  If the toroid is not smooth, maybe the
sharp edges will truly cause simultaneous streamers.
A smooth toroid may behave differently.  What makes
me think they may truly be simultaneous, even with
a smooth toroid, is that one can often see the sparks
grow (or shrink), in real time, by eye, and.... often they
shrink on one side, while they
grow on the other, while maintaining an approximate equal
total length from tip to tip through the toroid.  It's quite
amazing to watch.

In any case, a frame by frame observation of a videotape
of the coil should give a better verification.

Cheers,
John