TSSP: List Archives

From: "Barton B. Anderson"
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 23:50:24 +0000
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Racing arcs

--Boundary_(ID_/X89uI+FAY30GLjy3tXlCw)

Hi John,

Racing arcs (for me) always has toroid breakout associated with it.
Because of this, I can only assume sufficient voltage has developed to
produce corona on and along the secondary which is equal to or higher
than the toroids corona inception. I've experienced full blown arcs all
the way down from the top and arcs that start from the top and breakaway
out to the primary (typically outer portion of primary) from areas
around the middle 2/3's of the coil. It appears to have a nice smooth
corona road to travel, and depending on distribution, may break away
before it travels the full length. From the types of racing arcs I've
seen, the higher voltages, and thus corona, would be in the upper
portions of the secondary. When I did see it break away, I was "always"
running at high powers.

Take care,
Bart