TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 18:52:21 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Topload breakout potentials

Just catching up on a backlog of emails...

Bart wrote:

> I thought you had the coil up around 26kv/cm after the surface
> gradient doubling error or was that prior to the 12% differential?

Yes, because I'd put in your walls at 60", which gave an Fsec 5% lower
than reality, therefore appeared only 6% detuned, thus higher voltage.

I had to remove your walls and ceiling completely (sorry!) in order to
match your measured Fsec.  With John's coils, I had to bring the walls
in a little way from my initial guess.  I think your wooden walls are
more or less invisible to your coil, whereas John's walls must be more
effective as terminators of the E-field.  Bet your coil struggles to
work in the garage when it's rained within the last hour or few?

> for secondary base current ... would I need a high Fr current
> transformer?

Oh yes.  But you could knock one together easy enough, and calibrate it
with a signal geny and scope.

> Modes scoped w/signal across gap (all kHz): 35.4, 69.8, 119.7, 414.

Damned if I can account for that spectrum. Were they with the toroid
at 77"?   We would be expecting the frequencies in

 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/cmod/ba0.modes.gif

If your frequencies are correct, then we're wandering around without
a map or compass...

> Regarding the coupled mode frequency's. Should I be doing this with
> everything hooked up and gap shorted?

Yes. Be careful how you inject the signal generator into the primary,
if that's how you're working it - watch out for series inductance being
added by the geny output Z.