TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 12:35:53 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Happy Birthday!

Hi All,

Well it's fair to say that if a hard nosed, seat of the pants coiler
said to us 'Tell me something that would improve my coil', I'd be hard
pushed to respond.

Terry wrote:

> Many coilers are not technical.

I'm coming to realise that and it's surprising. I'd have thought that
folk messing with TCs, HV, etc would be at least as well versed in
technical matters as say the average radio ham (perhaps these days
that doesn't say much, as in the UK at least, that hobby has been dumbed
down to the point of worthlessness).

> can't help but think "you" Paul have done 99% of all the work in this.

I'd like to disagree, because all I can contribute is equations and
code,
and write-ups, etc. Come to think of it, that's pretty much what I do
all day at work :).   The real strength of the project comes from the
coilers on the list, say there's at least five with a decades worth
of experience - that's 50 man-years of wisdom against which ideas and
calculations can be tested.

I'd say that you Terry above all, have the best claim for credit. An
equation isn't a result, only a hypothesis (and they are 10 a penny),
and if it were not for your key verifications at every step of our
progress, the tssp website would be just another unsubstantiated theory
site.  I don't think anyone else around has committed themselves to this
investigation to the extent that you have.  For example, I would still
be wondering whether our models of internal capacitance were on the
mark,
and we would not be in the position of being able to confidently apply
this stuff.  It's results that count, not hypotheses, and when I look
back, the majority of results seems to have come from you!  Voltage
profiles, current profiles, numerous Fres measurements, scope traces,
impedance measurements - that's the real meat.  I just write the stuff
up!!

And now as we move to look at the real behaviour of TCs, the importance
of coiling experience will be paramount, as we've seen recently in our
discussions on breakout.  I have zero experience to contribute myself,
so the best I can do is try to maintain a framework upon which results
can be collated and compared, and to try to support these with numbers
and calculations.  From now on, I think more of the ideas and motivation
will come from the coilers.  There will be less of me saying "Here's an
equation" and Terry saying yea or nay it works. There will be more of
"My coil does this...explain!"

John wrote:

> I suspect there are relatively few folks out there who both;
> A) can understand the theories, and B) are interested in the issues.

Yes, it appears so.  Perhaps I shouldn't bother to worry about it. As
long as we are satisfying our own enthusiasm for investigating this
stuff
then that should be enough.  Useful results will have a way of making
their own way into the common knowledge, so it will get there in the
end I suppose.

> Does the TSSP website have a homepage from which all the pages can
> be accessed?

Yes, but it's not a very good one:

 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/

and I've got a plan in the pipeline to reorganise the whole site to make
it more accessible.  At present it merely serves as a filter to deter
the faint-hearted!

Terry wrote:
>  Hot-streamer gets about 750 hits a day so I'll put up an "ad"

That would be great.  Google sorts results by scoring the number of
links to a site, so a search for 'Tesla' and 'Theory' brings back lots
of Bearden and Corum stuff near the top of the list, and tssp is right
down in the noise, so the more links the better. Meanwhile I'll try
to make the site more usable by the average hairy arsed, no nonsense,
cap busting, seat of the pants coiler.

John wrote:
> Many coilers go for fit and finish and visual artistry...They
> won't be interested until there are results that can be applied to
> their coils to improve it's performance, etc.

That's fair enough. I guess the onus is on us to present results
which can be understood and applied on that sort of level. By that
measure of achievement, we still have a long way to go!

At least there's one concrete sign of influence - we don't seem to see
those long debates on self-capacitance and lumped/transmission lines
that were common on pupman a couple of years back.

Oh well, that's enough reflection for now.  On with the real work...