TSSP: List Archives

From: FutureT@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 17:04:34 EDT
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Happy Birthday!

--part1_ea.27c62d8e.2a16ca62_boundary

In a message dated 5/17/02 4:01:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
paul@abelian.demon.co.uk writes:

Paul, all,

It's a great research project that's for sure.

IMO, about 90% of the coiling community is not interested in
theory or doesn't understand it.  Most of the folks who are interested
or understand it, may already be on the TSSP list?  Then there are
the pseudoscientists who embrace theories in direct proportion
to their bizarreness.  Still I'm sure there are some other coilers who can
be reached, and will respond.

> Overall, the project doesn't seem to have made much impression on
> the coiling community.  There are virtually no links to the project
> from the web, although the site does get a hundred or so visits
> on a good day.

How does one gauge the impression of the coiling community?
90% of the folks are never heard from.  90% of websites address
construction issues, and simple basics, but not more complex
theory.

I also want to try to make more of an effort to raise the profile of

> the project within the TC community, both on pupman and beyond,
> in order to reach more coilers and to encourage more substantive
> criticism.  I think we've done enough work now to justify a more
> confident dissemination of our results.

I suspect there are relatively few folks out there who both; A) can
understand
the theories, and B) are interested in the issues.

Does the TSSP website have a homepage from which all the pages can
be accessed?  It would be easier to link to one page than to many
various pages.  Maybe that's one reason why there are few links from other
sites?
(If there is indeed not a central homepage).  I realize that the homepage
needs
to have all the links, and that's more work, more time, adding new links as
pages are added, etc.

Many coilers go for fit and finish and visual artistry, or long sparks, etc.
Many coilers if they accept theory at all, only like applied theory.  They
won't be interested until there are results that can be applied to their
coils to improve it's performance, etc.

All this is from impressions I've gotten in talking to and observing various
coilers
over the last 12 years or so.  Has anyone seen anything different?

Cheers,
John