TSSP: List Archives

From: "Barton B. Anderson"
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 21:20:21 +0000
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Topload breakout potentials

Hi Paul,

Paul wrote:

> Anyway, with this extra bit of primary voltage the model peaks at
> 24.5kV/cm at your -12% tuning.   The surface field at MCTV is 38kV/cm
> so I'm wondering if the initial 24.5kV is enough to start a small amount
> of breakout, which adds a little to the Ctop, which brings the secondary
> down a little into better tune, therefore more Vtop, more breakout, etc,
> and so on, eventually multiplying to give you copious breakout with the
> coil effectively in tune.  I guess this process might take place over a
> few consecutive bangs, or perhaps within one beat?

Interesting hypothesis.

> Do you have difficulty quenching?

No. I didn't run the ball gap except to find breakout potential. I needed to
keep the brass spheres cool to keep the test valid. The SRSG has not
problems quenching.

> Is it the case that some of the art of tuning the TC is
> finding just the right amount of primary detune so that the breakout
> drops the sec Fres enough for the majority of energy to transfer?

Yes, for those who actually continue tuning for max length.

> That
> certainly makes tuning a much more interesting operation!  I suppose in
> that case, tuning for deepest primary current notch would be the thing
> to do, since that implies max energy transfer is achieved during the
> beat.  It surely can't be coincidence that four of the five coils looked
> at so far use a fair amount of detuning.

Agree. Please keep in mind, my coil was remounted due to an srsg adventure
when I started in on the threads as it gave racing arcs and was related. It
still hasn't been tuned for max arc length yet. The testing to date is
simply removing the racing arcs via toroid height, detuning out, my problem
at the bottom sec winding resulting in lowered coupling after the fix, and
thus no racing arcs in either toroid position. So, it still needs to go
through my tuning mode, which is similar to Johns method.

For garage running, which is where I'll keep it for a while, I tune it for 4
feet at the least power input which includes 3 mechanical adjustments
(toroid height, couling, and tap position). For max arc lengths, tuning is
performed outside in similar steps with power increments, but that's for
another time. Let me go though the tuning process and see if I end up nearer
to the others in the detuning arena. I've got a test or two to do before
changing the tap position.

Take care,
Bart