TSSP: List Archives

From: "Malcolm Watts"
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 18:26:08 +1200
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Topload breakout potentials

Hi Bart, all,

On 23 May 2002, at 20:20, Barton B. Anderson wrote:

> Hi Paul -
>
> Hey, I found the issue with my cap (and it's "not" temp or humidity).

> > So how're we going to measure topvolts now?
>
> I don't know how, but we've got to figure out a way. Seems this is where
> we always get stuck.
>
> Ibase measurements should be no problem and easy enough. I've decided to
> purchase a hf current sensor (Digikey has one well within our frequency
> range). It's the top volts which stumps me. How do power company's
> measure those big kv lines?

    We are talking about direct connection without disturbing the
external fields aren't we? Somehow, we have to construct a probe
which can go up the centre of the coil (we can quantify any
disturbance it might cause through low power measured comparisons)
and contact the terminal on the inside. I haven't thought through the
ins and outs but I think it's got to be done. As with the dV/dx
probe, we can check for any disturbance it might cause which would
result in deviation from true results.
     I'll give it some thought over the weekend (which for me starts
about now).

Regards,
Malcolm